A:How may I help you?
我能為您做些什麼嗎?
B:I would like to change my reservation, please.
我想更改預約。
A:May I have your name?
請問您的名字? B:My name is Chieh-lun Chou. Chieh-lun is my first name.
我叫周杰倫。杰倫是我的名字
A:Let me see…I am afraid I can’t find your name on our client’s list. How do you spell your name?
讓我看看…很抱歉,我在客戶名單中找不到您的名字。您的名字怎麼拼? B:Chieh is c-h-i-e-h, lun is l-u-n.
Chieh是chieh, lun是lun.
A:Can you write my name in Kanji (Chinese characters)?
「你能用漢字寫我的名字嗎?」
B:Sure, let me try…. your name is Olivia, so… how about 橄欖樹?
「當然,我試看看..妳的名字是Olivia,橄欖樹怎麼樣?」
B:It means「a kind of Mediterranean tree on which fruit grows」.
這是代表「一種長有果實的地中海樹」
A:Wow, it’s so complicated and seems very difficult to write, but it looks cool.
「哇,好複雜,看起來很難寫,但看起來很酷」
奇怪的名字
B:By the way, these days there are Taiwanese parents who give their children western names like Anna, Hanna, Ken, George…
「順帶一提,現在很多台灣父母給孩子取英文名,像是安娜、漢娜、肯、喬治…」
A:Why?
「為什麼?」
B:Some of them think it’s cool, some of them think it’s useful in an international sense…
「有些家長認為很酷,有些則認為作為國際人士很方便。」
A:And what do you think, Chieh-lun?
「杰倫,你覺得呢?」
B:I don’t like these bizarre (baby) name. It’s…
「我不喜歡這些奇怪的名字。有點..」
A:I understand what you mean. We have those kinds of names too.
「我明白你的意思。我們(國家)也有這樣的名字。」
A:I just read an article that an American couple wants to name their baby 「Google」…
「我還讀到一篇文章寫說一對美國夫婦想幫孩子取名為Google….」
A:They hope he will be useful like the website.
「他們希望他能像網站一樣有用」
B:Wow…it’s not funny. I feel sorry for the baby.
「哇…這不好笑。真是為寶寶感到遺憾」
A:There are many new names like 「King」, 「Princess」, 「Paris」, 「River」, 「Sky」, 「Summer」…
『還有很多新名字,像是 「國王」、「公主」、「巴黎」、「河流」、「天空」、「夏天」…』
A:Kanye West named his baby「North」.
「肯伊·威斯特給他的孩子取名為諾斯」
B:「Sky」, 「River」, and 「Princess」 sound like Japanese names.
『「天空」、「河流」和「公主」聽起來好像日本名字』
總結
這次我們介紹了與名字相關的英文。
「What is your name?」是我們小時候學到的英文,但感覺和外國人交談時很少用到這句話。